Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I'm Back & My Birth Story

Wow, I can't believe it has been over 7 months since I last blogged.  Where has the time gone???  Life happens I guess!  Well, the last time you heard from me, I announced that our little bundle is a girl.  So much has happened since then!

Back then I was still pregnant...but now I'm a MOMMY!!!!!  Best feeling in the world.  I feel so very blessed.

So for my return post, I'll get you all caught up.  But I'm gonna make you come back for pictures of my princess. :)

I'll start with a progression of my belly.

The last time I actually blogged about my pregnancy, I was 17 weeks along.  Wow, that seems like forever ago!  The first trimester for me was relatively easy.  Minimal nausea and fatigue.  The second trimester was a breeze.  If I hadn't had a belly I wouldn't have known I was pregnant!  In the second trimester, we got the nursery painted.  I didn't actually do any painting...supposedly that is a big NO NO, but my wonderful husband and in-laws got the nursery all set up.  Pictures will be in an upcoming post...at least I hope!

We had our anatomy scan on December 7th.  We had a gender reveal party planned (for close family and friends) for that weekend so we were praying she would show the naughty bits and she didn't disappoint.  I went in convinced she was a boy.  We had been calling her "he" for months.  I didn't have a preference either way...I just want a healthy baby, but my "gut" feeling was that she was a boy.  So much for my "gut"!  There was absolutely no doubt that she is a girl.  The ultrasound tech at my OB's office (who was AMAZING by the way) was 100% certain that she is a girl and it was very plain to both hubby and I that she was correct.

At 28 weeks we elected to have a 4D ultrasound done.  We were able to see her sweet face and it was so awesome.  We invited my mom, dad, stepmom, mother-in-law, and father-in-law along.  Unfortunately my dad and step-mom couldn't get out of work to come but my mom, MIL and FIL were able to make it.  It was a nice experience to share with them. The umbilical cord was in front of her face, obscuring her lips, at first, but we were able to get her to move so we could see her whole face.  She had been so active all morning and then of course as soon as the test rolls around, she wants to sleep!

The first weekend in March started a series of baby showers.  There were three actual showers, a baby brunch with my closest girl friends, and a luncheon at work.  The outpouring of love people showed for our baby girl was truly amazing.  We are so blessed to have so many people in our lives who love us and her.

The first full weekend in April, I was officially full-term (37 weeks).  By that point I felt humongous and was very uncomfortable.  I was so very ready to have her.  She couldn't come fast enough for me!  But, as she is my daughter, she has a mind of her own and will NOT be rushed.

April 25th, I had my last OB appointment.  I went in hoping I had progressed in the previous week and that the doctor would say, "let's go have a baby today."  But of course, that didn't happen.  I had progressed since my last appointment, but not enough.  I was 2 cm dilated, 50% effaced, and at a -2 station.  We scheduled an induction for the following Wednesday and I went back to work (very reluctantly, might I add).

I left work that evening fully expecting to finish out the week.  All day, I kept questioning whether or not my water was leaking.  I couldn't tell if it was that or if it was my bladder (and yes that DOES happen when you are 9 months pregnant).  By the time we went to bed, I was convinced it was just my bladder.   Not too long after we got settled and were trying to go to sleep (around 9:30pm), I felt a huge gush followed by a waterfall.  Talk about excited!  Dru didn't think I was serious when I told him my water just broke.  But, there was absolutely no doubt.  I think he panicked for just a second but then rallied and began getting everything together and putting it in the car.

I had been having Braxton-Hicks for weeks but they were never really consistent and never painful.  It just felt like a tightening but I had gotten pretty good at ignoring them.  My contractions that day were pretty much the same.  Not consistent and no pain.  Just tightening.  Even after my water broke, there was still no pain and I didn't feel consistent contractions.  Once we got to the hospital and they admitted me, they told me I was having consistent contractions but I wasn't feeling all of them.  So I think I was probably contracting consistently all day but wasn't feeling them.

I was 2.5 cm dilated, 75% effaced, and at a 0 station upon being admitted.  They started pitocin and the anesthesiologist came in and started my epidural.  Once all the paperwork was done and the nurses had hooked me up to everything and such, Dru and I tried to catch a nap.  They said they would check me again in 4 hours.  We were expecting, since this was my first pregnancy, to be waiting a while and we would need the rest.

The nurse came in about an hour later because the baby's heartrate was dropping a little but they assured me that it wasn't dropping dangerously low.  It was just a little lower than they like to see.  She turned me on my side, the heartrate stablized, and we tried to nap again.  It wasn't long before she came back in and tried turning me again.  The heartrate didn't really stabilize so they decided to check me again.  I was already 6cm dilated, 90% effaced, and at 0 station.  She was starting to descend more and that was causing the fluctuating heart rate. 

Six hours after my water broke, my little lady made her appearance.  It took approximately 30 minutes of pushing...and that was only because my contractions were so close together that the nurses were missing some!  Absolutely ZERO pain.  I felt nothing but pressure when I needed to push.  I could kiss the anesthesiologist who started the epidural.  He was FANTASTIC.  :)

My sweet girl is absolutely perfect!  Prettiest baby ever, ha ha.  And you know, of course I'm not AT ALL biased *sarcasm*.  I am one proud Mommy!

So that is my birth story!  Next post will be stats on my little lady along with pictures.  Stay tuned!

 Memoirs of a Munchkin Mommy


Cole said...

What a great birth story! I'm so impressed (with both you and her!) that you only had to push for a half hour.

Dip-Dip and the Bridge said...

Love the pictures, that really is a great memoir!
You did really well.

Draco and his Mom said...

yay! I come and check my saved blogs once in a while and was so happy to see your update! Congrats on the newly formed family. I can't wait to see more pictures.