Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New Addition

As I told you on Thursday, I was scheduled to shoot my aunt's birth on Friday. Well, things didn't exactly go according to plan. L went to the hospital early Friday morning for her induction. They started her on a drip and the progress of labor was very slow. By 1:00pm she was at 4 cm...and at 6:00pm she was still at 4 cm. It was the doctor's feeling that a natural birth wouldn't be safe or even possible. L is barely 5'0 and (what they were guessing as) an 8lb baby would have made for a very difficult, if not life-threatening delivery. She was still given a choice about whether or not to go ahead with the natural birth, but the doctors highly suggested a c-section. After much prayer and a consultation with her husband, she decided to take the doctor's advice. That meant no birth shoot. I was a little bummed but her safety as well as the safety of the baby is most important to me.

At 6:04pm on Friday, September 10th, 2010, a little tinkle of a tune filled the labor & delivery floor as they announced the birth of a baby. We all rushed to the nursery to see L's husband and baby Gib coming through the door. Dawson Gib weighed 7lbs 13oz and measured at 20 inches long. He was beautiful (and not just because I'm biased) with long feet and toes. I took tons of pictures of him through the nursery windows.

L was in recovery for a while after that. L's husband was able to take Baby Gib into recovery to see his Mama. Most of the family had arrived so we all sat around talking and waiting for L to make it back to her room. Baby Gib's temperature was a bit low, so we didn't get to hold him that night. They took him and put him in a warmer in the nursery, by the window so we could still peek in at him.

I went back to the hospital the next day to hold Baby Gib and take pictures. Shortly before I arrived, the hospital's contracted photographer had come by and taken pictures. They did a fantastic job but their prices were a little steep if you ask me. In any case, it was a wonderful service they provided free of charge (it only cost to buy the packages or the CD but not for the actual session). The only problem was they woke Baby Gib up and proceeded to make him mad by undressing him and moving him around for pictures. By the time I got there, he was just getting back to sleep and L didn't want him to get mad and fussy again so soon. But, that was fine with me. I got pictures of him sleeping, of him in his Mama's arms, and had my cousin take a quick picture of me holding him. I'll get more pictures in their home soon. Those always turn out best.

I knew they would be going home on Monday, so I stopped back by on Sunday and dragged hubby along with me. I still can't figure out why on earth men are so scared to hold babies. It totally baffles me, but maybe that's because I've been holding babies since I was old enough to hold babies. Even Gib's dad only held him for a second because he was scared he would break. Ha ha ha. Too funny. I DID manage to convince hubby to hold Gib but he was adamant that he wanted to be seated and wanted me to hand him over and take him away. He's still scared, but a little less so now, I think.

Both mommy and baby are doing well. They went home yesterday and hopefully they are all settling in. I know they were missing their daughter, AK, like crazy. She was at the hospital on Friday for a while, stopped by with my grandparents on Saturday, but she didn't make it on Sunday. They were eager to get home and see her.

I took tons of pictures at the hospital, so I'm still sifiting through them. Once they are finished, I'll share a few. I'm very eager to get some pictures of Gib and the whole family at their house. I'm hoping to do that in the next few weeks. And yes, it absolutely IS an excuse to go by and see the baby. :)

I'm swamped at work, helping cover for someone who is out on vacation, so if you don't hear from me much this week, that's why.

Photobucket

4 comments:

sprinkles said...

I'm glad all went well with the delivery.

Cole said...

I'm sorry you didn't get your baby photoshoot...but very happy that the new addition arrived safe and sound. :-)

DSS said...

Oh my goodness! Quite a bit of excitement in your neck of the woods. I'm so glad you got the chance to take some photos at the hospital :)

Don and Diana said...

Oh Tiffany
I am sorry that you didnt get to get photos of the live birth, but the moms safety is important. It would have been so cool!!
CONGRATS on baby Dawson. I am glad that he is healthy and I am sure cute as ever.
Yah, men are scared of babies. Once they have had their own, then they are old pros!! LOL

Diana