Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Market

The weekend before last we got to spend some quality time with Dru's brother and sister. On Friday evening, my SIL, her fiance, and my BIL came to visit. We had steaks, twice baked potato casserole, green beans, and salad for dinner. We spent a lot of time talking and hanging out before bedtime.

The boys were all set to go fishing Saturday morning. Originally, SIL and I were going to the beach but SIL forgot her bathing suit. So, we opted to go downtown to the Market instead. I, after our lovely staycation, had no money to shop but I always enjoy looking around. The Market is definitely a tourist-heavy place but I think it is so much fun to go there, check it all out, and possibly get a bargain on some cute stuff.

The Market was recently renovated so I was excited to check it out. I used to love going there but I hated all of the people crammed into the narrow little walkways between tables. Well, foot traffic jams in the Market are no more. It is now nice and open and I don't feel rushed because there is a mountain of people behind me pushing me along.

I stuck to my guns and didn't buy anything except lunch. SIL however, did a little shopping. She wanted some Charleston Gate jewelry like the beautiful set I was given by my dear friend and coworker for my birthday. We found the appropriate table and sista got her some bling. She also bought a little something for the fiance. Of course we looked at some of the local art, name the sweetgrass baskets. I do so love them but they are SO expensive!

After leaving the Market, I was going to take SIL to High Cotton (my favorite) for lunch but because she is on a new diet, she couldn't really eat anything on the menu. So, I took her to Southend Brewery. We ate there for my birthday earlier this year so she was familiar with the menu. I had a margarita pizza (it was delish) and SIL had a very yummy chicken sandwich with caramalized onions.

After lunch it was on to Costless Outlet. If you're not familiar, that is a "privately owned store that carries over stock, end of lot, dented box, out of box, and open box returns from Wholesale Clubs. They tend to have a wide variety of stuff that changes from week to week. Dave Ramsey talks about them a lot. They always seem to have large flat screen tvs (with the plastic still on them) for bargain prices. I would love to buy one but I just can't justify it until one of our tvs crap out. I still like to go in, oogle them, and dream! I knew SIL would love it. She had never been and it is the sort of place that is right up her alley. She loves a bargain.

The only downside to going there was that my no-spending policy for the day was shot all to pieces. Hubby and I really needed a stand-up freezer. It just so happens that Costless had a stand-up freezer (approximately 16 cubic feet) for such a bargain of a price that I couldn't say no. In all honesty, we did have money set aside for this purpose in our savings so it wasn't really all that spontaneous of a buy. We were just waiting for the right price. Costless had it so we bought it.

I don't think SIL bought anything there but she had fun looking around. I have a feeling she'll be going back after she gets married to invest in a tv. The boys loaded up the freezer and we all headed back to the house to unload it and hook it up. It works like a dream.

Unfortunately, that was the end of our visit with them because they had somewhere else to be, but it was nice while it lasted. I had fun spending quality time with the SIL and talking about wedding stuff.

That pretty much wraps up the weekend before last. Tomorrow, I hope to post pictures from the maternity shoot I did while we were on staycay. And then more blogging about this past weekend and we'll be all caught up!


Photobucket

2 comments:

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

Aww!! That sounds like fun!!!! I love going to the Market but my favorite place to shop is King Street! :) Glad you guys had a great time!!!

sprinkles said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!