Monday, August 23, 2010

Happy (and sad) Monday!

I know most of you are probably grumbling right now saying "what's so happy about Monday?" Normally, I would agree with you. I hate Mondays. But today, I'm not hating it so much. Hubby almost looks normal again! And he is off today so I get to meet him for lunch. Having something to look forward to on a Monday is definitely the way to get through it. :)

Before I go any further, I do want to thank all of you who left kind words and said prayers for us last week. I can't begin to tell you all how much it was appreciated. Hubby has had a rough go of things this year and so has my family. I am so fortunate to have such an amazing support system in all of you, my lovelies. You guys are the best.

We had a nice weekend. I hope you all did too. Hubby was supposed to start his new job last Tuesday, but because of what happened, he wasn't able to start until Friday. He worked Saturday and Sunday morning to catch up. I used my alone time those mornings to catch up on some reading, studying, and snuggle-time with my munchkins. We didn't do much of anything and it was glorious. Just hanging out together at the house and catching up on some rest was perfect!

I know some of you are probably curious about what exactly happened with hubby. I would love to fill you in, but I don't feel like that is an option right now as it may turn into a legal matter. We are hoping that it doesn't have to go that far, but until I know for sure, I don't want to say too much. However, I do want to caution all of you.

Most of us think we can trust our doctors 100%, unless they have given you reason to think otherwise. Take a lesson from our predicament and always double and triple check behind your doctor, especially when it comes to medication. As we have found out, just listing drug allergies in your file does NOT mean that a doctor won't prescribe you a medication that could kill you by triggering a severe allergic reaction. Be sure to call your pharmacy RIGHT NOW and ask if your drug allergies are on file. If not, have them add it to your file and then the next time you go there to pick up meds, ask again if it is in your file. The pharmacy is your last "check" before the medicine is placed in your hands. Always always always seek a second opinion, especially on large matters and/or if surgery is involved. When a medication is prescribed to you and has been placed in your hands, read ALL of the literature that accompanies it and google the heck out of it to make sure it isn't similar to any medications you are allergic to.

To be honest, doctors and their staff are only human. They make mistakes. We all do. But you don't want their mistake to cost you your life or the life of someone you love. Take advantage of what happened to us and make sure it never happens to you. This sort of thing happens a lot more often than you would think.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. I want to update you on my Papa's condition. The good news is that he is home! Yay! The doctors did a biopsy of his lung on Wednesday and also cleaned out his lungs. There was a bunch of "junk" as they put it, in his lungs. They had to go in six times to clean out all of the calcification and mucus. We won't have the results of the biopsy until the end of this week. My Papa is a smoker so hopefully this ordeal will make him think twice about lighting up again.

I just recently started following this blog, Cream Puff to Health Buff. Fabulous name, isn't it? This sweet lady lived here in Charleston until just recently when she moved to go back to school. On Saturday, her beloved Chihuahua, Buddy, crossed the Rainbow Bridge. If you would, please keep her and her family in your prayers. I know all too well how devastating it is to lose such a beloved pet (we lost Tiny in November 2003 and Angel just last week) and when it first happens, it doesn't feel like the pain will ever go away. And honestly, it doesn't go away, but over time, it DOES get easier. You gradually begin to remember the good times and remember them with a smile instead of tears. If you feel inclined, please visit Amelia's blog and leave your condolences.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Steph said...

Glad your husband is recovering! And YEA for the new job!
I see you just finished reading Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter... did you like it? I have it on my nightstand to start after I finish Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Kerr said...

glad to hear hubby and papa are doing better!

Cole said...

I'm so glad Dru and Papa are doing better! HURRAY!

Fingers crossed that this week is MUCH better for all of you. :-)

sprinkles said...

Tag, you're it! Please stop by my blog for details.

So happy to hear that your hubby and papa are doing better. I'm glad Dru's employer was understanding enough to not fire him for calling in sick on his first day!

Heather said...

ACK, I don't even know if I was able to reply to your post last week but I've been reading from work & have been thinking of you guys LOADS! I'm glad Dru is better & that your Papa is home. I hope the biopsy comes back a-ok & that he lights up no more.

I also agree with double, triple, etc checking with allergies. We've had that problem but thankfully have caught it before it was taken. I do not trust docs around here anyway. I'm sorry you guys had a mishap & I hope to goodness it never happens again which I'm sure it won't after this. Good luck with everything & I hope Dru is feeling 100% again as well. Good luck to him in his new job as well!