Friday, May 14, 2010

Recent Finds

Do you remember back when I did this post about our "Wedding Weekend' in Sumter back in mid-April? And do you remember that I mentioned finding some cute stuff for the house in TJ Maxx & hubby's aunt's antique store? Good 'cause that's what this post is about! Ha ha.

First, the frame. As we were looking around hubby's aunt's antique store, I saw a lot of adorable things that I wanted to bring home with me. But, I was a good girl and refrained from picking anything up and asking how much for it. I walked around with hubby, saying "Oh that would be perfect for (insert room)." When I saw this frame, I instantly fell in love. I don't know what it was about it that drew me in, but I couldn't stop talking about it. There's no picture in it, no paiting, it is just an empty frame. Hubby asked his aunt how much it was and she gave it to him. How nice was that? He surprised me when he walked out of the store with it and put it in the car. But now here is my dilemma...what on earth do I do with it? I don't want to put a picture in it and use it in its traditional manner. I want to do something fun with it. Now I know some of you ladies will have some ideas for me and I am ALL ears!

Sorry, the natural lighting in my house is terrible!


Here's a detail shot.

After the antique store, we went with MIL and SIL to TJ Maxx. I always like to hit up a TJ Maxx when I'm traveling because they all have different stuff and some of them are SO awesome! In the home goods section, I found this adorable decanter.


Sorry the picture is so bad. It isn't easy finding a place with enough light AND a solid background to take a picture of something clear.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with the decanter either, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. I would like to fill it with something cool and display it somewhere so it looks even cooler. Any ideas?

I also found an apothecary jar. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I could NEVER have enough of these. I love them but it is so hard to find them at a good price. They have tons of them in Michael's but they're $15 a piece. I'd rather spend less money and get a bunch of them than have to spend that much and only come home with one.

It took me a little while before I could decide what I wanted to fill it with. I wanted something colorful and springy to go inside of it but I just wasn't sure what. When I went to buy all the supplies for my Mother's Day wreaths, that's when I decided to fill them with silk flowers. I can always use the flowers later for more wreaths. Right now I have this in my spare bathroom (because it doesn't really match my living room), but I am thinking of moving it into my bathroom. I love how bright and cheery it is.

The flash distorts the colors a bit, but you get the idea.

And the last thing I found was this wire basket. I knew I could use it in a million different places for a million different things so I snatched it up. I wanted to put it in my spare bathroom to put rolled up hand towels in, but the only place to put it is on the back of the toilet and that space just isn't big enough. So for now I'm still trying to decide where I want to use it first, but I'll definitely do something with it soon. Ideas are welcome!


The frame was free, the decanter was $5, the apothecary jar was $5, and the basket was $10. Not too bad, especially considering most of them I can use many different times for many different things. I like things with multiple uses!

If you have any ideas for any of these items to share with me, I would be so grateful to hear them. Have a great weekend ladies. TGIF!

Photobucket

4 comments:

sprinkles said...

I once watched an episode of Trading Spaces where the designer (I think it was Genevieve) hung up a bunch of picture frames on a wall. The owner had a bunch of them they weren't using so the designer just hung them up as is. If I recall, I don't think the owners were very impressed by it but to each his own!

sprinkles said...

^^^Maybe it was Hildy but I really think it was Genevieve!

I miss that show!

AndreaLeigh said...

I love the frame, and apothecary jars are the best!

Nadine, Chewy and Lilibell said...

We had two medeival stone faces up on our wall and two empty gold frames, so we decided to frame the faces on the wall with the frames....it came out looking pretty cool!