Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Weekend

Boy was my weekend full! I am exhausted but it was so nice to see everyone this weekend. We drove to the hometown on Saturday morning, dropped the munchkins off at my Mom's, and then headed to the reception site. We were helping my MIL cater a vow renewal. We worked diligently all morning trying to put everything together until we all had to leave to get ready for the wedding. Hubby and I barely made it to the wedding on time. It was a short and sweet ceremony. It was very nice to see a married couple renewing their vows after 25 years together.
After the ceremony, hubby and I hurried over to the reception site to help finish up and set everything out. My MIL had been there the whole time and hadn't had a chance to go home to change. She ended up dropping her phone in the toilet so it wasn't even functional. It was craziness but we managed to get everything together and set out by the time the guests arrived. The food was yummy but it was A LOT of work and it was so HOT out.

Sunday hubby took me to breakfast. We ran into my dad and brother there and had breakfast with them. They were on their way to the golf course. After breakfast we headed back to my Mom's wait for her to get home. She and my stepdad were in Myrtle Beach for his high school reunion. She knew I had made her something for Mother's Day but she didn't know what. She was anxious to see it so I handed it over shortly after she got home. This is it:


This first picture was taken with natural light so you can get a better idea of the colors.


This was taken with the flash so you can see the details better.

I thought I got the idea for the wreath from simpledaisy, but I can't seem to find the post. So if you are reading this and you posted about a wreath similar to the one above please let me know so I can give you credit! Thanks.

This wreath was a VERY time consuming project. I had no idea just how long it would take me to wrap the warn around the wreath enough to cover the whole thing. I bought all the supplies for it on April 24th and I didn't finish it until May 5th. I did a little bit every night until it was finally finished. Then all that was left was to pain the E and attach the flowers. I definitely had fun making it, but it did take quite a long time. Next time I'll start even earlier.

The next two wreaths were born out of a lack of time. Because the first wreath took so much time (and because the craft store only had one wreath form when I bought the supplies the first time), I had to figure something else out for my MIL and my stepmom that I could finish in only a couple of days. That's when I got the idea to do a ribbon wreath. Here is the outcome:


Taken with natural light.


Taken with flash.


Taken in natural light:


Taken with flash.

I was very pleased with the effect of the two ribbons overlapping. It turned out better than I could have planned for. All three were well-received and I hope I see them hanging the next time I visit. I'm already trying to come up with new ideas for more wreaths. I had so much fun making them that I would love to continue making gifts for people. It's so much more satisfying than buying something in a hurry.

So, what's the verdict ladies? Do you like? Any suggestions on way to change it up for the next ones? I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you have for me. :)



Photobucket

2 comments:

Kerr said...

wow I am very impressed! job well done

sprinkles said...

Those are really nice! I didn't realize the first one was covered in yarn. Yeah, I can see why it took so long!