Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Maybe I Have A Green Thumb After All

First of all, I am feeling better. I was able to get my fever to break Monday evening and came back to work on Tuesday. I'm still tired nearly all day and a little weak but I am getting better every day. I'm still not sure what was going on. It has to be some sort of infection somewhere to cause a fever but I didn't really have any additional symptoms. All I care about right now is that I am feeling better.
Second, I have a confession. I don't think I've ever planted anything ever before, in my life, before a couple of weekends ago. Seriously. I have wanted to plant some flowers around my house and get rid of the sad looking azalea bushes in the front yard but I am scared to do it because I have NO CLUE what I am doing. Sad, but true. My mom loves working in the yard and planting stuff but I never really shared in that until recently. Now I think I might like to just jump in and give flowers a try.

I'm sure I mentioned before that hubby and I planted a vegetable and herb garden. I am a weirdo and decided I wasn't 100% comfortable planting our garden in the ground so we decided to grow it in "pots". The reason behind my decision is that we rent our house and the tenants before us had large dogs who left massive poops all over the backyard. Not knowing these people or their dogs, I'm just not comfortable that their dogs were parasite free the entire time they were living there and since some parasites can live a LONG time in the soil, I just didn't think planting there was a good idea. Do you blame me?

So back to this whole planting in "pots" thing. I knew that buying large pots to plant everything in could get expensive so I asked hubby if he could build me some boxes. He said he could and since the wood was free, he thought it was a great idea. I never really explained to him what I was picturing in my head, but I really didn't need to worry because he had the exact same idea as I did. He picked up the wood on his way home one day that same week and on Saturday morning he set to work. It only took him an hour or so to build all three boxes and cart them into the back yard. I forgot to take a picture of the boxes before we filled them. Sorry!

We had to go to my little cousin's birthday party that afternoon so we left the boxes and decided to continue on Sunday. We picked up the potting soil (organic, if you're interested) and all the plants and seeds we needed. If I remember correctly we bought 6 or 8 bags of potting soil and had one left over after we filled all three boxes. We were able to get all 9 plants and 6 seeds planted in the three boxes.

We planted tomato, cucumber, zucchini, squash, cantaloupe, asparagus, green bell pepper, and Greek oregano plants. They were $1 each, except for the oregano which was $3. We also planted seeds for chives, basil, thyme, parsley, rosemary, and dill. The seed packets were $1 each.
These photos were taking the Wednesday after they were planted.
From top to bottom: cucumber, green bell pepper, and tomato


From top to bottom: squash, zucchini, and cantaloupe


The plants (from top to bottom): Greek oregano and chives.


As for the six divided spots, that is where the seeds for the herbs were planted. I don't remember the order at the moment but the thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley, chives and dill are planted there.

I took more photos on Saturday to show the growth. These are individual shots of each plant. I hope to continue this and document their growth from week to week. Most of the herbs, except for two, were poking through the soil by then. The basil was very visible, as you will see below, but the rest was barely enough to show in a photo. Maybe this week we'll see some more green in those boxes!

Cucumber


Bonnie Green Bell Pepper


Tomato (this baby is growing FAST!)


Cantaloupe


Zucchini


Squash


Asparagus


Greek Oregano


Little tiny basil leaves popping up through the soil!


I am so excited that our little garden is growing! I never knew whether or not I could actually make things grow, but between hubby and I, we are doing a good job so far it seems. Planting everything in boxes means A LOT more watering, but it really doesn't take much. We just have to do it a lot more frequently.

This has given me the confidence to maybe try planting some flowers. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not jumping in and planting bulbs or anything crazy like that. But I've been thinking of maybe finding some pretty flowers that are already growing and planting those. Between hubby and I, I am sure we can figure it out.

Tomorrow (I hope), I will post about our weekend. Saturday was a trip to the Charleston Dog Show and Sunday was a short trip to the beach. It was cut short by me not feeling good and I ended up crashing for the rest of the day.

I have also been working on making my mother a Mother's Day present. I got the idea from one of the lovely ladies whose blog I follow. I can't wait to show you the finished product. I am very close to being done so hopefully I can actually get it posted early next week. I'd post it before Mother's Day but seeing as how my Mom has this blog address and could pop in at any time, I don't want to spoil the surprise. I really hope she likes it. I will be making one for myself too in the near future.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better!! :)

I'm so jealous of your little garden!!!! So cute! I've always wanted to do that...but it's so intimidating to me!!! I thought about trying out a couple of different things in pots. I am not good at plants. Most of mine always die!!! Thanks for sharing this!! :)

Nadine, Chewy and Lilibell said...

Great idea on those boxes and your garden is already starting to look lovely!

One thing, do you feed the plants? If so, remember to use a tomato/vegetable feed, and not one that's for flowers and vegetables. Also, they should only be fed about once every two weeks, I've read that if you feed every time you water, it dilutes the flavors of the herbs.

Also, as the basil grows, make sure that once you see flower buds appearing at the top of them to pinch them off, it's never really good to let your basil flower (I think that also screws with the flavor), plus the pinching will make it grow bushier!

sprinkles said...

So glad yo're feeling better! The last time I was sick, it really took a lot out of me. I'd do the simplest thing and be completely worn out. It was awful so I can totally empathize with you!

I'm not into planting flowers or gardens either. Ever since I bought my house though, I feel like I need to have flowers in the house. I've only replanted just a few times with mixed results. My mom planted some irises in the front of my house. She said it needed something and they seemed to be just what it needed.

I got some free flower seeds at the beginning of April and planted them a couple of weeks ago. They're already starting to get so big and I'm so proud! These will definitely need to be replanted though as they're currently planted in a very small pot.

I totally get how you're so proud! It's kind of cool to grow something from a seed into an actual plant! I've never planted veggies though.

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Glad you're feeling better! I want to plant a garden so bad, but I live in an apartment complex! I might have to do something on my tiny balcony... ;)