Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tuesdays At The Table



For this week's Tuesdays At The Table, as hosted by the lovely Cole, I want to share a recipe for a fantastic pasta dish that I think is to die for. Hubby was afraid to try it with his intestinal issues (tomato-based stuff exacerbates it), but he did give it a little taste. He loved it just as much as I did. I make this dish for lunch a while back. It lasted several days, I never got tired of it (which is HUGE for me), and it reheated so perfectly. The taste only gets better with time. I'm not big on leftovers, but this is just the sort of thing that I have no problem eating more than once.

Spicy Italian Pasta Bake
- PAM Original No-stick Cooking Spray
- 2 cups dry rotini pasta, uncooked (I used whole grain)
- 8 oz Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed (If you don't want as much heat just use regular turkey sausage instead)
- 1 med yellow onion, chopped
- 1 med zucchini, quartered lengthwise, sliced
- 1 pkg (8oz each) sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 1 can (28 oz each) Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook sausage in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking apart with spoon to crumble. (I cooked it until it was nice and brown and caramalized.) Add onion, zucchini, mushrooms, and carrot. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and pepper flakes; heat 2 minutes or until bubbling. Add pasta to tomato mixture; stir until pasta is well coated. Spoon half of a mixture into baking dish. Top with half of the cheese. Repeat layers once more. Bake 15 minutes or until hot.

I like heat in my food so I added a dash of chili powder to this. It already has some heat with the Italian turkey sausage so be careful! I also seasoned it with a touch of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder after adding the tomatoes. It is rare for a dish to pass through my kitchen and NOT get seasoned with these staples!


This dish was delicious and super easy to make. It doesn't take long and it can feed you for several days.

Now, mosey on over to Cole's blog and see what everyone else is cooking.



Photobucket

3 comments:

Kerr said...

yum that sounds good. I love an easy recipe. thanks for sharing

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

That sounds delicious!!! Anything with pasta sounds good to me...hahaha. Thanks for the recipe girl!! :)

sprinkles said...

Love just about anything with sausage and pasta so this sounds excellent!

Still waiting for your ranch recipe!

I'm hosting a dog swap, come join the fun! Details are on my blog.