Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tuesday At The Table



It certainly has been a while since I last linked up to Cole's Tuesdays at the Table!  Life has been crazy lately and I haven't had much time to get myself organized enough to participate.  But, since I have been in super organizational mode with my recipe collection, making my recipe book (which is coming along nicely), I wanted to share a fabulous and healthy recipe I came across several weeks ago and fell in love with.  This recipe came out of the South Beach Diet Cookbook, if you are interested.  There are lots of fabulous, healthy recipes featured there that hubby and I have had much success with before and with his new digestional issues.

Oven-Fried Chicken with Almonds

1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
¼ cup (1 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup finely chopped almonds
2 tbs chopped parsley or 1 tbs dried parsley
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp dried thyme
Pinch of ground black pepper
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded into ½” thickness and cut into 12 pieces.

Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, almonds, parsley, garlic, salt, thyme, and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Place the oil in a shallow dish. Dip the chicken first in the oil, then dredge in the crumb mixture. Place the chicken in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until thermometer inserted in the center of a piece registers 170°F and the juices run clear. (Do not turn the chicken during cooking.)


In the bread crumb mixture I also added a touch of garlic powder and onion powder.  They are staples in my kitchen and there isn't much, if anything, that I don't use them on.  I also left out to almond just because I didn't have any on hand, but I know they would have been so yummy if I had them in this dish.  This dish was fantastic.  I'm not usually one who likes leftovers, especially when the leftovers involve chicken, but this dish was just as good, if not better, the next day.  Reheating it in the oven or toaster oven works great to crisp it back up.  I think we ended up cooking this dish 3 times that week, that's how good it was.  And it was so easy to make.

You can pair this with whatever tickles your fancy.  One night we had it with a sweet potato (they are good for hubby's digestion issues) and green beans.  It would be fabulous alongside a salad or some sauteed veggies.
If you like fried chicken, and even if you don't, give this recipe a try.  It tastes like it's not healthy, but it is, and it didn't leave me with that yucky feeling real fried chicken always leaves me with.

Now, mosey on over to Cole's blog and see what everyone else is cooking.



Photobucket

3 comments:

sprinkles said...

This does sound good! Don't do much cooking though so I don't have many of the ingredients listed here.

Still waiting for your Ranch Dressing recipe!

Amy said...

that sounds wonderful..

Cole said...

Mmmmm! That sounds really good. I'm so glad you could join in this week!