Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Snow in SC

So, if you missed my post on yesterday then you don't know that we got FREAKIN snow in Charleston, SC! And if you did see it I may not have portrayed my excitement enough. I was (and still am) soooo excited. It has been many many many years since I last saw snow in my hometown or in Charleston. Seriously. It can snow in Florida but it somehow totally misses us. And it stinks. But, we got snow this year! I felt like a kid in a candy store when we realized it was actually snowing. I can't even begin to express to you just how HUGE this is!

All day Friday (12th) they were calling for snow here. But, if you know anything about the weathermen in SC then you know that they LIE all the time. They have called for flurries or snow before and we NEVER freakin' see it. So I was so excited there was a possiblity of snow but I was trying not to get my hopes up only to have them crushed.

Around 3:00pm, hubby called me from work (he works in our hometown which is about 1 hour north and inland of Charleston) and said it was snowing. Like full on snowing and actually sticking! Gasp! So that made me think that we might actually see some snow this year. I waited and waited, looking out my window about every 10 minutes waiting for the snow. By 5:00pm when I was leaving work, still no snow. By 6:00pm when hubby got home, still no snow. We needed to run to the grocery store to pick up some stuff for a Southern bbq on Saturday evening so we headed out. When we got into the grocery store we realized that the rain was icy. There were little ice crystals in my hair. It was only a matter of time.

About 8:00pm, I looked up at one of our windows and saw a little bit of white condensation. I got excited for a second before I realized it was just condensation. I mentioned it to Dru and he got up to look outside. I wish you could have seen my face when he said it was snowing. I thought he was joking at first but the feeling that overwhelmed me when I realized he wasn't is something I can't even begin to describe. I jumped up and sure enough there was a very thin blanket of snow covering a portion of our grill.




Next we needed to check out the front yard. There wasn't much snow on the ground but there was enough to know that it was actually snowing and steady falling.





Of course the Munchkins have never seen snow (they are after all only 2 years old), so hubby decided to make a small snowball for them and see how they reacted to it.


As you can see Bentley thought it was a snack!





Bentley was very excited over the snowball. They were both trying to eat it but I wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch Lexi trying to eat it too. She did it right in the beginning and then decided she was done!

About 8:45pm we decided to take the Munchkins out in the snow for their first experience. There was enough snow on the ground by then to get a reaction from them but not so much that their little paws would sink in it.



Look at Lexi on the right. She is high-stepping in the snow.



She is saying "This is SO not cool Mom!"



The tail says it all. He was loving it.



The front yard at 8:45pm.







The backyard at 9:15pm.



And the grill at 9:15pm. Lots more snow than an hour earlier!


After taking this I put away my camera (which was getting all wet from snow...yikes) and the hubby and I went outside to play. Yes, we went outside to PLAY. And boy was it ever fun. I felt like a little kid again. We had a snowball fight and we watched the kids across the street playing in the snow. We stayed up until around 11:00pm which is quite late for us (we're such old people) and then decided to hit the hay.

We woke up around 6:30am and couldn't wait to go out in the snow. We had a quick breakfast and then suited up.

This picture I am about to show you is probably one of the only ones like it you will ever see. In this picture I *GASP* have no make-up on. I apologize for subjecting you to this and promise not to do it too often if ever again. You see, I do not wear make-up most days. It's just too much of a hassle and I'm allowed to wear a t-shirt, jeans, and flip-flops to work so I forego make-up as well. I only wear make-up when I am going out somewhere (like NOT to the grocery store but like to dinner). I normally do not allow pictures to be taken of me when I am bare-faced, however to document this amazing moment in history (I mean, come on, snow in SC!) I decided I would allow it. Again, I apologize if it frightens anyone! Small children beware!


Excuse the squinties. Despite the sun not being out it was still incredibly bright out!



Isn't that just breathtaking?





The backyard.







The grill covered in snow!









Me with my sweet munchkins and our snowman.



Hubby with our sweet munchkins & our snowman.



Little paw prints. :)



This was pretty much as far as she wanted to go!



Bentley wasn't shy about venturing out into the fluffy white stuff.



Close-up of our snowdude.





My snowangel. Possibly the first one of my life. (I don't remember.)



Our picket fence. Breathtaking photo if I do say so myself.



Back out to the yard later in the day in new, dry (but not for long) clothes.









This was pretty much how she was the whole time in the snow. She couldn't get all of her paws out of it fast enough!





This sums up perfectly exactly what she thought of this "white stuff".



Is he handsome or what?


Notice the ears. Bentley is my floppy-eared boy but on our snow day his ears were at full attention!


Notice the paw. This is pretty much how she stayed the entire time with at least one paw, sometimes two, in the air.


This picture cracks me up!


My sweet, adorable hubby!


Eek! More make-up-less pictures.


Me & the munchkins.


Hubby and I certainly had a blast playing in the snow together and with our munchkins. It was such a treat for us! And everything was so gorgeous blanketed in the snow. I could totally use a couple of days (at least) like that every year! What a blessing it was to enjoy the snow. Unfortunately it didn't last very long. Most of it was melted by that afternoon. Our yard still had a good bit of snow left (more than any of the other yards in our neighborhood) because where our house is positioned offers a lot of shade and preserved the snow for a while. Our snowman last for a couple of days whereas everyone else's was toppled or gone by that evening. We still had a little piece of our snowman left on that following Wednesday! But of course that was the very last bit of snow. :(

I know all you folks that get snow on a regular basis every winter think its no big deal but it is so huge for us here. I can't even remember the last time we had snow or even flurries before this. The last time I remember actually being able to play in the snow and build a snowman was when I was about 5. Yes, you heard me right. So this has been a wish of mine to have some snow here. My biggest wish is a white Christmas but when it is 70 degrees on Christmas day here most years I know that is an even longer shot than this was.

Thanks for sharing in my joy over getting some snow! I will cherish my memories of this snow day for a long time because I'm sure it will be many more years before we see any again.

We had 50 and 60 degree days all that following week. It was simply gorgeous on my birthday and on that Saturday after my birthday. The weather was warm and glorious! And this week it is in the mid to high 60s and sunny. As much as I enjoyed the snow on the 12th and 13th, I must admit that I am ready for spring and beach weather!

Hopefully before the end of this week I will be able to share my Valentine's Day and my birthday with ya'll.


Photobucket

7 comments:

Go East Memphis Mama said...

Your pups are too stinkin cute!

Draco and his Mom said...

Super good post Tiffany...I am glad you got to experince the snow AT HOME after so many years. Bentley was sure lovin the fluffy stuff, he was looking very handsome and Lexus was just being a little princess. Great pictures.

Emily said...

I can't believe it snowed in Charleston! Love all your snowy pictures and the Munchkins are super cute!

sprinkles said...

I woke up to snow this morning and wasn't nearly as excited about it as you are. However, I was excited to see most of it melt! :)

I do understand your excitement over it though. I'm sure I would feel the same way if I'd only ever experienced it just a few times in my life.

Blair @ Reasonably Swanky said...

The pups look like they had so much fun! All the snow was crazy wasn't it. Now, next time let's pray it comes on a work day! :)

xo
Blair

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Looks like you guys had a great time in the snow!! The pictures are so much fun to look at!

Woofs and Kisses!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Wow! You guys got quite a bit of snow! Hope you enjoyed it! :)