Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Another Update

Update @ 2:21pm: I went home at lunch to check on Dru and I am happy to report that he is feeling a lot better. His Dad is there with him and brought along some chicken noodle soup and saltines for him to eat. Dru was able to eat that and keep it down which is a good sign. He also heard back from his doctor and is going in for a follow-up tomorrow. In the meantime he is supposed to take probiotic supplements for his digestive system. I hope this is the beginning of him finally getting better. I don't want any more surprises!

*****************

Oh boy has it been a whirlwind of a weekend! If you have been following me on Twitter or checking in my sidebar for updates then you know a little bit about what is going on. My stepdad continues to slowly improve so that is great news. I am hoping that the poor guy gets to come home before this weekend because 2 weekends spent in the hospital is certainly no fun.

As you know from my previous posts, Lil Henry caught a virus from my aunt's children. He seemed to be getting better as of Sunday. My mom had to go home from the hospital on Sunday evening to get Lil Henry ready for school and herself ready to go back to work. When she picked Lil Henry up from his grandparents' house he was very lethargic. Of course it scared her, especially since dehydrated in children can manifest very quickly. Despite his protests that he was fine she took him to the ER. They ran some tests and discovered that he was very dry and in the beginning stages of dehydration. Which isn't bad news considering. They gave him some anti-nausea meds and some apple juice and sent him home. My mom has been keeping him on a bland diet and lots of liquids to help keep him hydrated. He didn't go to school yesterday but I haven't heard if he was able to go today or not. Poor kid.

Dru and I had a not so bad weekend at home this weekend. We stayed in on Saturday and just tried to rest as much as possible. This began to make him feel a lot better. On Sunday he was feeling a lot better but was still having some mild digestive issues which were most likely a side effect of the two antibiotics he has been on (he had spoken with his doctor early in the week to confirm this). We took the Munchkins and Rascal out for a ride on Sunday and stopped in to Hairy Winston. Everything was nice. We got in bed about 9:00pm. Dru fell asleep pretty much right away but it took me until about 10:30pm to fall asleep. At 11:45pm, Dru woke me up. He wasn't feeling good at all. He had woken up with numb hands, was very light-headed, and couldn't stop shivering. After getting him some juice, fixing him some toast, and trying to get him warm in the bed, we realized it just wasn't working. At around 1:45am he asked me to take him to the ER. They drew some blood, hooked him up to an IV, and ran some tests. The tests all came back fine and with the IV fluids in him he was feeling better. They told him that a liquid diet for the next day or so would be fine if he didn't feel like eating any solids and sent us on our way (of course after paying a hefty deposit to the hospital on the bill). Although they didn't specifically give us any answers, the gist of what they were thinking is that he lost some electrolytes this week from having to go to the bathroom so much and drinking a lot of water. Now he is supposed to drink Gatorade, juice, etc. until he gets better. He has to keep hydrated and keep his electrolytes. They are hoping that once the antibiotics get out of his system that his digestive system returns to normal.

We got home around 4:45am and pretty much crashed. We were both exhausted from being up in the ER all night and thus neither one of us was feeling great. I had to call in to work and then I tried to get a few hours sleep. I got up around 8:30am and tried to get ready for work. I called in to say I'd be there around 10:00am but they insisted that I stay home with him. I was relieved because I wasn't very comfortable leaving him alone not feeling well and light-headed. We tried to get some more sleep but it was easy because he was up and down, in and out of the bathroom. He was feeling okay during the day and when we got in bed last night. He woke up about a million times last night going to the bathroom or needing something to eat. So I was up most of the night too. By this morning he was feeling worse. He no longer has any pain from the diverticulitis but he is very weak. This isn't surprising considering his symptoms but it doesn't change the fact that he feels awful. He isn't able to stomach anything solid, not even toast. I made him some Jell-O last night and have broth standing by for him to eat.

Unfortunately being out from my injuries in October and taking him to doctor's visits and such has eaten up all of my accrued PTO and I was pretty much forced to come in to work today. With the medical bills that will soon start pouring in from this and with his being out of work so much (he doesn't get paid if he doesn't work) I can't afford to take any time off unpaid. It stinks but it is what it is. His Dad was able to drive down this morning and stay with him today while I am at work. I will be going to check on him at lunch. He has put a call in to his doctor about everything and is just waiting to hear back. We aren't sure what she will say we need to do but it doesn't really matter as long as he starts to get better.

I know my posts have been nothing but a downer lately and I apologize. Life just isn't being kind to us right now and our lives are just full of sickness. It isn't fun for me so I know it isn't fun for those of you reading about it. But we do so appreciate all of your kind words and prayers. They have done so much to help us both keep our heads high and fight through it. Thank you for letting me come here and write about what is going on. I really need this outlet in times like these. But I am confident that things will get better soon. They may get worse before they get better, but they WILL get better.

I can't wait until I can blog about happy, sappy, or blissfully meaningless stuff again!

Photobucket

8 comments:

Kristin said...

You poor thing. What a rough time. I hope he's on the mend ASAP and you can blog about cheerful things!

Louisiana Belle said...

Bless your heart! Still praying for y'all.

Draco and his Mom said...

You are just in a valley right now Tiffany...things will start looking up real soon.

sprinkles said...

Boy, when it rains, it pours for ya'll!!!

Thanks for the update.

Hope things start looking up for you soon. Still keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Dory and the Mama said...

Hang in there Tiffany, our prayers are with you, Dru (and Lexi and Bentley of course).

Cocorue said...

dear Tiffany, you need to rest yourself and i trust Dru is on the mend and you will take care of yourself once you know your family is fine. bless you girl

chikisses

Dip-Dip and The Bridge said...

Hang in there Tiffany and Dru. This seems to be going on for a long time doesn't it, hope he turns the corner soon.
That is the other thing about illness, the money - just when you could do without anything else to worry about it rears it's ugly head.
Keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers.
Lynne xx

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

I hope everyone is well on the way to recovery now! Hang in there!

Cheryl