Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Boys are Sick

We didn't make it to our hometown this weekend. :( I told you on Friday that hubby wasn't feeling well and decided to stay home on Friday night instead of making the trip to our hometown so he could go duck hunting and so we could attend his sister's birthday party. On Saturday he wasn't feeling any better so he decided to scrap our trip in favor of lounging at home. And lounge we did. We did not set foot outside of the house on Saturday or Sunday accept for taking the munchkins out in the backyard. I kid you not. That isn't like us but hubby wasn't feeling well and wasn't up for much at all.

He was able to stick it out all weekend but by Monday morning he was in too much pain to go to work and was intent on seeing the doctor. So I called in to work and told them I would be late and then I hauled hubby to the doctor. And we do have a diagnosis. He has diverticulitis, which is what we expected. Normally, once treated with antibiotics, the diverticulitis goes away and usually doesn't rear its ugly head again. With my step-dad this has not been the case but we are hoping the hubby is one of the "normal" cases. He still isn't feeling great today but he is feeling a little better. If the meds are doing their job he should fell much better by Thursday.

As you can probably imagine, I was up most of the night on Sunday. Hubby was in and out of bed and tossed and turned quite a bit during the night. On top of that, poor Bentley wasn't feeling well either. He kept coughing like he needed to throw up but nothing ever came up until around 2:30 that morning. It was all liquid. It was also storming pretty bad and it rained a ton. Around 2:00 we lost power and of course that woke me up. I couldn't go back to sleep for checking on Dru, checking on Bentley, and alternating between sweating and freezing until the power came back on about 6:00am.

After we got home from the doctor, Bentley still wasn't any better and was throwing up liquid again despite my having given him an antacid at 2:30 that morning. Now, if you are just joining me here at Memoirs of a Munchkin Mommy, then you may not know this. Those of you who have been following me for a while will be very familiar with what I am about to divulge. I am a nutjob when it comes to my munchkins (and by munchkins I mean my furchildren). They are my children and my world revolves around them and my hubby. They, along with Dru, are my world. I spazz out over the smallest things with them. Really. And, trust me, I'm not alone in this. There are others just like me out there, right Jenna and Nadine? :) I've had dogs, Chihuahuas namely, for long enough to know that vomiting in itself isn't anything to spazz over. If not accompanied by a change in behavior, poop, eating, drinking, or peeing, then it is probably nothing serious. But I KNOW my babies. When it comes to them my heart and my gut usually steer me right. And the fact that Bentley started coughing Sunday evening and was still coughing on Monday morning at 11:00am, I knew something wasn't right. So, I called the vet and they gave me the go ahead to bring him in. Unfortunately I didn't make it out of the house with him before he threw up liquid on my laptop keyboard. :(

Based on the physical and my answers to the standard questions on poop, eating habits, etc. the vet thought obstruction unlikely. It is much more likely that Bentley has an upper GI infection. I'm not sure where he would have gotten such an infection since they really haven't interacted with other dogs and haven't been anywhere recently other than home. I guess it is possible he picked up something off of the floor or the ground that irritated his stomach and caused the inflammation. The good news is that Bentley was acting pretty normal. I could tell he didn't feel great but he was still the goofy Bentley we know and love. The vet gave him a shot, gave us some medicine for him to take twice a day, and also told us to continue with the antacid. We reduced his portion of food last night by half and fed it to him in two separate feedings to be sure he kept it all down.

By 6:00pm, he seemed to be feeling a lot better but I could tell he had a little bit of an upset tummy last night as he was licking and swallowing, licking and swallowing over and over. I was up checking on him most of the night, and checking on hubby, so I am quite tired today. Hubby didn't feel good enough to go back to work today so he stayed home with the munchkins. He has been calling me to report on how they are all doing. Great news is that hubby is starting to feel much better! I don't like it when he is sick. He gets so pale. Bentley also seems to be feeling good so I am keeping my fingers crossed that both of my boys will be as good as new very soon! I have a sneaking suspicion that the EVO beef formula we just rotated their food to is a little rich for his tummy so I will be giving him a bland diet of boiled chicken and potatoes until he is back to 100%. And I will be switching him to just an EVO chicken formula and EVO salmon & herring formula rotation. I will have to come up with a way to make up for the lack of red meat in his diet though. I'll probably end up cooking it up for him myself. See, I told you I am a totaly spazz when it comes to my babies!

As for the computer, the up and down arrow keys have gone haywire. Everything else seems to be functioning fine though. I thought we were going to have to buy a new computer right away, but since it seems to only be the arrow keys that are affected, I think we can get by without using them for a while. Good thing too because after yesterday's tally of money spent at both doctor's visit, coupled with my doctor's visits early in the month, I don't know that a new laptop would have been in the budget! Hubby's job doesn't provide medical insurance so you can imagine how expensive his medical bills are! We are hoping he gets the job he recently applied for so he finally has medical benefits.

In other news, my stepdad is having surgery (again) today. He has had a time with his health recently and had numerous hospital stays and surgeries. He is a farmer so you can probably understand how his being sick and thus out of work isn't good. I spoke with my Mom just after lunch and they were just taking him back for surgery. Please keep him in your prayers that the surgery goes well and that he has a speedy recovery!

And just to give you a little eye candy, here are two pictures of my munchkins. They were both taken a couple of weeks ago when Bentley was feeling much better.




Aren't they precious? Okay, maybe I AM biased but who wouldn't love those sweet faces? :)

Oh and the above reasons are why my Google Reader is telling me I have nearly 900 blog posts to catch up on. I am trying to work through them slowly but surely. I apologize for my absence in commenting on your blogs my lovelies. It WILL get better!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Wow it sounds like you had a rough weekend! I'm so glad everything is getting back to normal though. Hopefully your hubby is better by Thursday!w

Glad to hear Bently's ordeal wasn't serious. My dogs eat random things off the floor constantly! I'm wondering how the antacid worked for Bently? Banjo has a um.. tooting problem and I've been debating on wether or not to give him some antacids...Oh my gosh what are we going to be like when we have children?!! haha

Nadine said...

Haha Tiffany, you know me!! What a weekend you had taking care of your boys!

No matter how careful we are with our furkids, they still manage to pick up things without us even noticing...like the time that Chewy had the runs....no idea how he, and not the both of them, could've gotten it, but he had to have gotten into something while out on a walk which my ultra sharp furkid eyes did not pick up!!!

Glad to hear that they are getting well though :)

sprinkles said...

I've heard that diverticulitis can be quite painful! Glad to hear that Dru is feeling so much better now and hopefully he won't have any more recurrances.

I am super spastic when it comes to my babies too! I got a dog when I was still in jr. high that I didn't take very good care of and as a result, she had to be put down. Ever since then, I've always felt horribly guilty and swore every pet from then on would always be well taken care of!

Then I got Scratches (cat) who from the very first day cost me and arm and a leg. He had lots of medical issues so I had to watch him very closely. Any little thing seemed wrong, off to the vet he went so that he wouldn't get worse. Sadly, he passed on just over a year ago. I know he had a good life though.

Hope Bentley gets to feeling better soon. It's so hard when our babies are sick cuz they can't tell us what's wrong.

Sorry to hear about your step-dad. Here's wishing for a speedy recovery!

Amy said...

Wow a lot has been going on. Best wishes to your step dad and your other boys..

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

You definitely had a wild weekend!! Glad that the boys seem to be feeling better.

Cheryl