Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesdays At The Table


On Sunday night we had hubby's brother over. Since hubby picked up my new car on Friday and drove it home, he left his truck behind. His brother was sweet enough to drive the truck down on Sunday and then ride back home with hubby on Monday morning. So we had a houseguest for the night. I had to figure out something to feed the three of us because he is a big strapping boy who eats...A LOT. So I fell back on one of my fall favorites: stewed chicken.

I am going to make an effort to try and get pictures to go along with my recipes! But I didn't get any pictures this week. Maybe next week.

Stewed Chicken

1 whole small chicken cut into quarters
1 medium size onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
Olive oil
Tomato juice
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Heat about 1 tbs olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Meanwhile season chicken quarters with salt (I use kosher salt), pepper (I use fresh cracked), garlic powder, and onion powder. (On Sunday, I also used a little seasoning salt and some chili powder.) When the pot has come to temperature, place chicken quarters skin-side down. Allow the chicken to get a good sear before flipping the pieces and searing the opposite side. Allow chicken to cook until nearly done. Remove chicken quarters from the pot and set aside to cool.

With the pot still set on medium heat and the drippings from the chicken in the pot, add in the chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook until onions are starting to caramelize and bell peppers are slightly wilted. (I also added in a little fresh minced garlic just before the onions were done.) While the onions and peppers cook, begin to debone the chicken. Cut up chicken into bite-size strips or pieces. Once onions and peppers are done, return chicken to the pot. Pour in enough tomato juice to cover the chicken (you can always add more later). Allow this to simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over rice.

Now, mosey on over to Cole's blog and see what everyone else is cooking.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Blair said...

sounds yummy!

Heather said...

Mmmmmm, that sounds delicious!!

sprinkles said...

Sounds yummy and doesn't seem like it would be too terribly difficult to make. Since I live by myself, I don't cook very much. It's nice to have a simple recipe that even I could make!

Dory and the Mama said...

Sounds a great cool weather comfort food!

Smileys!
Dory

Cole said...

That sounds so yummy!