Friday, November 20, 2009

My Nanny's 60th Birthday Party

I am a terrible blogger right now! I apologize to all of you who follow me and whose blogs I follow. I am so behind right now. Normally I catch up on blogs during my free time at work (SHHHHH....) but this week I have been soooo busy. The nerve! Don't they know I need time to blog and catch up on blogs? LOL. Guess not! Seriously though, my Google Reader is saying 443 unread blog posts and counting. Not only have I been neglecting this blog and all of your blogs posts, but the munchkins are mad at me for neglecting to help them blog and read all of their furiends' blogs. :Sigh: A woman's work is never done.

I have had this blog post semi-ready for weeks now but never got around to finishing and posting it. Since I have been limited in time this week, I decided it would be more time-effective to finish this and post it instead of starting a whole new post for something else. So even though this post is so terribly late, it will have to do for now!

**********

Several weeks ago we celebrated my Nanny's 60th birthday! Since I didn't post about it then I wanted to share now. Birthdays are on my mind since my MIL's was Monday, my Papa J's is this weekend, and my Dad's is on Thanksgiving.


The planning for this party began several months before the actual party date. As you can probably tell above I have a fairly young family. Both sets of my grandparents are in their very early 60s, my parents will both be 40 on their birthdays this month and next, and I am 24. I knew, very well actually, 5 out of my 8 great-grandparents, the last of which passed just over a year ago. My mother has 4 sisters, all of whom but one have children well under the age of 18. So, the number of grandchildren is steadily growing (I am the oldest grandchild if you are wondering) and pretty soon we will start the count on the great-grandchildren. It has been my Nanny's wish to have a comprehensive family portrait done for many years, especially since her youngest daughter (who is only 4 years my senior) had her first child. So, my mom and all of her sisters planned to have them and all of their children get together to take a family portrait for my Nanny's birthday. That was back when the temperatures were still vacillating between high 80's and 90's. The family photos were very well kept a secret from my Nanny until her party.


We had her birthday party at the church that I was raised in and that all of my aunts, my mom, and my Nanny all attend. The whole family was there, even some of the husbands who tend to stay away from estrogen-heavy events such as this. Since I live an hour away from my family it was so nice to have everyone on my mother's side all in one place. I was able to see all of the little cousins of mine that I adore, the cousin who is like a sister to me, and all of my aunts who I hadn't seen in at least a month. We are a very close family; they all live within 10 minutes of each other, but since I moved to Charleston I don't see them as much as I would like. So I am going to enjoy the holidays so very much! But I digress.


As you can see, my Nanny was ecstatic to have all of her girls and their children in one place at one time to celebrate her birthday.


(Yes, she IS as short as she looks!)


This is my littlest cousin who my Mom refers to as Sunshine. She is such a hoot and so very sweet.



This is the cake. I didn't taste it but was told it was very good. I think the hubby enjoyed a slice. Isn't it adorable?? LOVE polka dots!



My Nanny and my Papa. I think he blinked in EVERY photo. And yes that is a cane he has. He worked so hard for so many years that he injured his back on the job, so he is forever stricken with a cane.



Here is the birthday's girl's spot and the backdrop that my aunts created. They had to work with what the church had, but they made it work as best they could. I did the flower arrangement in less than 5 minutes. Not my best work but it worked for the occasion.



My Nanny, Papa, and all of their girls. This was just before we revealed the framed family photos they all gave her for her birthday. She cried and was amazed that we were able to keep it from her. Secrets aren't easily kept in our family! (My mom is the one in red, in case you were wondering.)



After this they played a slideshow of pictures. There were TONS of pictures of all of us. Pictures of each of her girls as babies, as toddlers, tweenies, teenagers, etc. There were pictures of each of their wedding days, and pictures of all of their children. They even put in pictures of my wedding day. It was enough to bring a tear to anyone's eye. But they snuck a photo in there that totally made me lose it. There was a picture of me and my dear sweet Tiny baby. I had to excuse myself from the table and couldn't eat a thing afterward. Had I been warned, I would have been prepared to not let it affect me. But seeing his sweet face just below mine pop up on the screen without warning totally ripped my heart out. This followed by pictures of my (great-)Granny Ida who I was so very close to was just too much for me handle. I did recover but I was very sad for a while. (I'm not usually so emotional but it hit me hard that day!)



Here are two pictures my Mom took of me and hubby. Gotta love that Aloette skincare regimen and make-up for making it undetectable that my eyes were leaking mere moments before!



We had a nice time celebrating Nanny's birthday and catching up with all of my aunts and little cousins. We had attended a Pet Expo earlier that day and then had an hour drive to our hometown for the birthday party so we were both pooped by the end of the party. Plus we still had to go back to my Mom's and feed the munchkins.

I haven't seen all of my family together since the party. I don't think I've seen any of them except for my Mom and my brothers since the party. Sad, I know but that is the price I pay for living in another city. So I am very much looking forward to celebrating Thanksgiving and Papa J's birthday with them all this weekend. I am making a delicious pumpkin crisp and will share the recipe on Tuesday (I hope).

We spent last night packing up our stuff and the munchkins' stuff so that we can head out this evening after work. If I can remember to charge the battery for my camera tonight when I get to my Mom's house, I will have some pictures to share with you next week.

I hope you all have a great weekend. I am sending good-weather vibes your way!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Amy said...

Happy 60th Nana. What a cute pair the two of you are.

Dory and the Mama said...

I can relate to "real life" getting in the way of blogging...the NERVE!!

Nadine said...

Tiffany, the party looked lovely and fun!! Life and distance has a way sometimes of keeping families apart, so glad that you were able to be with all of your family at once!

Have a great weekend!

Hugs, Nadine

DSS said...

What a wonderful celebration!!! And I hear you about getting behind in blogging b/c of work. Sheesh! What is wrong with these jobs that we have :)

sprinkles said...

Sunshine is adorable!

That's nice your family is so close. Mine is not. At all.

It looks like you all had a nice party for your Nanny. I'm sure she really appreciated it.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Enjoy your weekend with the family.