Thursday, October 8, 2009

Introductions

I decided to use the very first post on my first very own blog to introduce you to me and my family. So, I'll start with me, since I am, after all, the author of this here production. My name is Tiffany and I am the Munchkin Mommy. I have a wonderful husband who supports me in everything that I do and two wonderful Chihuahua babies who are the light of my life. I will introduce you to each of them in a moment.


This is me.


I was born and raised in a very small town in South Carolina (with upwards of 10 churches) about 1 hour from where I live now. I was brought up surrounded by a rather large, Christian-oriented family. I was technically an "only child" as my brothers are both at least 10 years younger than I am. Music, books, movies, and animals were a huge part of my childhood and I have continued to have their presences heavy in my life.

I am the oldest of five children. I have two brothers, one step-sister, and one step-brother. There are 10 years between me and my brother Dustin and 17 years between me and my baby brother Henry. My step-sister Caitlin is two years younger than me (she is my step-father's child) and by step-brother Hunter is about 12 years younger than me (he is my step-mother's child). Henry, who I lovingly refer to as Boo-boo is MY baby. I helped raise him and he and I are very close despite the distance.



Me & Dustin at my wedding. He is two years older now, about an inch taller than me, and he has shaggy 70s hair.





Me & Henry at my wedding. In this picture he was a few weeks shy of his 5th birthday. As you can imagine, he is quite a bit taller now.



I am a summa cum laude graduate from an accredited college here in good ol' South Cakilaki with a Pre-Med/Biology degree. After graduation, I took a few years off to get married and enjoy married life. In that time I have ventured out into corporate America to help pay the bills while I am studying for my MCATs. It has not been and is still not easy working full-time, being a wife, mommy to two fur-kids, cooking, cleaning house AND trying to study all at the same time. But, I have an increasing yearning to be a doctor and will not let anything stop me from achieving this life-long dream.

I enjoy spending quality time with my husband and furkids, playing with my sweet munchkins, visiting my family, reading a good book, watching a good movie, listening and singing along to music, going out dancing, walking on the beach (which is less than 2 minutes from my house!!), blogging, reading blogs, hanging out and chatting with dear friends, meeting new friends and furiends, going to pet-oriented events, and of course, SHOPPING!

Now to introduce you to my loving, adoring, wonderfully attentive husband. This is Dru.


He is also a South Carolina native and from the same small town that I am. He is one of three children. He has a younger sister, Kirby, who is three years his junior and a younger brother, Casey, who is six years his junior.

At the tender age of 13, I was introduced, by a mutual friend, to this boy who would become my best friend, the man of my dreams and the man I call my husband. Within only a few short weeks, despite my young age, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would spend the rest of my life with him. And I was right...well, so far!

Dru became my best friend, my boyfriend, and my confidante. He was there through the turmoils of adolescence and the stresses of college. We weren't your typical teenage couple. We rarely fought, we didn't break up, get back together, break up, get back together, etc. as seems to be common among teenage couples. We both took relationships seriously and this one was no exception. It probably didn't hurt that we are soul mates too. We knew, even then, that we would be married.

On August 11th, 2006, when I was in my senior year of college and our relationship was in its 8th year, he took me out, got down on one knee, and proposed. There was no hesitation at all. The answer was unequivocably YES and it had absolutely nothing to do with the jaw-dropping ring he presented to me! I was so excited I could barely contain myself. The very next day, I started planning our wedding. Within only a few days, we had set a date: July 21, 2007 leaving us just under a year to plan.

On a gloriously sunny Saturday in July, Dru and I were married.






















We honeymooned in St. Martin and it was beautiful, but it was HOT! After seven days in paradise, I was more than ready to come home! We were looking forward to moving into our new house in our new city and finally starting our life together.





















And it has been blissful. Even after over two years of marriage and eleven years together, we are closer than ever. Yes, we both have our moments, but we are great at working through it all and never go to bed angry. We put each other first and I think that is vitally important to a successful marriage. It also doesn't hurt if divorce is not an option...which for us, it isn't.

Dru is still my best friend as well as my husband. We genuinely enjoy spending time together but do make sure that we have our individual "me" time. It has created a nice balance for us and we haven't, in eleven years, gotten tired of the other. And I hope we never do.

Now to introduce you to my munchkins, that is, if you haven't already met them HERE.

When I was 13, just before I met Dru, we added a new addition to our family. His name was Tiny and he was a Chihuahua. Thus, my love affair with Chihuahuas begans. Tiny very quickly became my little boy. He was 100% devoted to me and I to him. You can imagine the devastation I experienced when he was ripped away from me at only the age of 9. It is still very painful for me to talk about, so that is all I will say for now. I will tell you his story at a later date.



But it was because of the joy he brought to my life and the emptiness he left when he was gone that I decided I couldn't live without a Chihuahua. I had already made up my mind to get two sweet little ones. First was Bentley. The moment I saw him, I fell in love. He was this teensy little bundle of love and he was helping my heart to heal. (If you want to read the whole story about how Bentley came to be a part of our family, go HERE.)




We knew we had to get Bentley a companion to keep him company while we weren't home. That is when I found Lexus. She was this teensy, big-eyed little lovebug who captured my heart with one photo. Since the moment we brought her home, she and Bentley have been inseparable. (If you want to read the whole story about how Lexus came to be a part of our family, go HERE.)





I can't even begin to describe the joy these little ones have brought into my life. They stole my heart and continue to steal the hearts of everyone they meet. I don't think that my life would ever be complete without such lovable creatures in it. I am truly grateful for the love they share with me.

So why did I start my own blog? Well, to be honest, Bentley and Lexus were getting pretty darn tired of me taking over their blog to participate in Tuesdays at the Table, etc. So, they gave me an ultimatum, either start my own blog or they would ban me from blogging at all. So as not to suffer any blogging withdrawals, I started this blog.

Why the name? Well, if you haven't already met the munchkins HERE, please go on over and meet them, and then you may better understand the name of my blog. Bentley and Lexi are my munchkins. That is what I have always called them and that is what I will always call them. That's just the way it is. And, since I am their Mommy, this title only made sense.

Will there ever be a human Munchkin Memoirs? Most likely but you'll just have to follow me and find out!

What will this blog be about? Great question. I am sure the munchkins will make regular appearances, but aside from that I'll be blogging about family stuff, hubby and me, our wonderful city, any projects I start, books I am reading, movies I have seen, my favorite tv shows, flip-flops (some of you may "get" this), friends...and the list continues. Will it be interesting? Probably not. :)

Thanks for taking the time to come over and meet me, the Munchkin Mommy. If you become a follower I can guarantee that I will return the favor. If you become a regular reader then I want to apologize right this minute for boring you to tears. Feel free to ask me any question you wish. I can not promise I will answer, but I will try. Thank you for visiting. I hope to see you again soon!

Photobucket

12 comments:

Nadine said...

Ahh Tiffany, this post was perfect. I never really knew the story behind you and Drue and after reading this, it just left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling inside! I am so very looking forward to your new blog!!

Love, Nadine

Martha Basset said...

Hi Tiffany, I wasn't bored - absolutely loved looking at your gorgeous wedding photos!!!!
Good luck with the blog - I look forward to following your story. xx

Dory and the Mama said...

Awesome Tiffany!! I know by experience that running two blogs is rough (especially when the Doggie Blog has waaayyyy more followers!!) But it is nice to have a place to talk human and I love hearing your wonderful story!

Hope and prayers that your ankle heals quickly!

Beth (Dory's Mom)

Don and Diana said...

Hi Tiffany,
I am Diana, (Jazzi's mom) Nice to meet you and your blog wasnt boring a bit!! It was nice to learn more about you. Your story was so nice.
Jazzi likes Lexus and Bentley
Here is our blog
http://www.dianachambers.blogspot.com/

Dip-Dip and The Bridge said...

Hello Tiffany
I really enjoyed reading your story. Living in a different country, it is interesting to read how life is in US and see those gorgeous photos.
I wish you lots of luck with your studies and that your ankle heals quickly.
Best wishes from Lynne.

sprinkles said...

Wow, I feel like I really know you now!

I really enjoyed reading your story.

Beautiful wedding photos.

Don't know why but I always thought your hubby's name was Seth. Guess I must have him confused with Martine over at I need a Sugar fix.

Hope your ankle heals soon!

Cocorue said...

Hi there Tiffany,

I trust you are healing more comfortably today. Thanks for sharing this love story - I've always loved Dru's open, honest face and I'm so happy that you've found your soulmate.

This is meant as a compliment - the latest pic you shared on the munchkins' blog - that showed how young you really look ( the other beautiful pics showed a mature person but this one without makeup is to me, you at your MOST beautiful )and how beautiful you really are, with or without the make up.

Tiny is/was a darling and I can understand your pain and the munchkins will never take over his place but they are a real comfort, aren't they?

warm regards
lilian

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Hi Tiffany!! I really like your solo blog, and I enjoyed reading your story. Isn't St. Martin wonderful!! Did you get to go to Orient Beach? Beautiful water and the softest sand I think I've ever walked on! Me and the gang will definitely follow you!! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Cheryl and the gang!

Cloud the Wonder Dog said...

Hi Tiffany, thanks fur sharing your story and gorgeous photos wiff us. You are a beautiful person inside and out. My mom is going to follow your blog.

Much luv, and we hope your ankle is better soon!
Cloud and his mom

Draco and his Mom said...

Hi Tiffany, I am looking forward to reading more about you and Dru. I think your wedding was storybook and the pictures were fantastic. Stories, projects, recipes...
anything you toss out will be a pleasure to read. Not boring at all.

Debra

Sharon said...

Hi Tiffany! I finally made it over to your blog :) What a great start to a new site! It was nice reading about your background and your marriage (and your wedding colors and flowers were gorgeous!)

I can't wait to read more!
Sharon (Dobby's mom)

mylittlebecky said...

puppeeeees! love all the pictures! great job introducing everyone :)