Thursday, October 22, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner

Lately it has been a struggle for me to decide what we are having for dinner. My appetite has been really crappy since the accident and I have had the most trouble figuring out what I can eat that won't turn my stomach. My usual favorites that I always can fall back on just don't do it for me right now. At the mere mention of them I feel nauseous and that's not like me. Last night was no different. I plan our weekly meals at the beginning of the week but by the middle of the week my stomach rebuffs the meals that I have planned.

Every night since the accident hubby and I have gone through this game of "what's for dinner?" First, he begins listing off what we have in the house already made or what we have that we can make. When I shoot down all of those ideas because my stomach rebels against the thought of them, he moves on to quick and easy stuff he can get from the grocery store, which is almost literally across the street from our house. When my stomach again shoots down all of those ideas, it is on to the nearby restaurants. And when that doesn't appeal to me? I either don't eat or grab a bowl of oatmeal or something that is just enough to keep me alive.

So, in order to save himself from the bothersome task of playing the "what's for dinner?" game last night, hubby suggested grits, eggs, and bacon for dinner. My tummy smiled...yes, literally. It was the most inspired idea he's had all week! I found myself getting excited because it had been a long while since I had last enjoyed a bowl of grits. *Gasp* I know, right? A southern girl who doesn't eat grits everyday. It's blasphemy. But seriously though, I really found myself getting excited.

Image from Photobucket

And let me tell you, when it was all ready it was so very yummy! What a perfectly inspired idea! The only thing I would have changed was the bacon. I am not a huge fan of regular pork bacon. Ever since trying turkey bacon for the first time several years ago I have turned away from regular bacon completely. When I requested bacon this weekend on the shopping list, I didn't specify. I guess I should have even though we haven't had real bacon in the house in the entire length of our marriage. But, still, when it comes to a man, we all know we have to spell it out for them. When I realized he had bought regular bacon instead of turkey bacon I said no biggie. What harm could one little pack of regular bacon do, right? You would be surprised!

I am the type of person that will choose a salad over mashed potatoes, fruit over chocolatey desserts, grilled over fried, etc. You get the picture. I genuinely love clean flavors on my palette. But I do, every once in a while, have a hankering for some fried chicken or some other traditional southern, terribly unhealthy, dish. Normally they don't make me sick. But boy oh boy did this bacon, which was tasty by the way, make me very ill.

I think it was the grease. Turkey bacon, which I am used to eating, isn't greasy. And, I refuse to bread and fry anything, and I do mean anything, in my house. I don't mind getting fried chicken, etc. elsewhere every once in a blue moon, but I will NOT fry it in my house. I know I'm weird but that's just the way it is. Anyway my point is that I'm not used to eating a lot of greasy food. So those three little pieces of bacon wreaked havoc on my poor digestive system.

I am much better now and have learned my lesson. I will be leaving the regular bacon for hubby and will be making sure that turkey bacon gets put on next week's shopping list! But in spite of all my digestive troubles, it was so GREAT to have breakfast for dinner. It is such a nice treat and was such a wonderful idea that my sweet hubby came up with last night. Even if it makes you sick you still have to love eating breakfast for dinner.

Do you ever enjoy your morning meals in the evenings?

Photobucket

7 comments:

Dip-Dip and The Bridge said...

That looks really nice, what are grits? I don't like fried food either, we have fish and chips about every 6 months and I still feel queasy afterwards.
Thinking of stuff for meals is an ongoing nightmare!
Lynne

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I love having breakfast for dinner! For some reason it always reminds me of that scene in The Notebook when Allie meets Noah's dad and they eat pancakes at night. :) Just thinking about the scene makes me smile!
I'm the same way as you, I love turkey bacon! If I have regular bacon it is probably because I am not eating at home.

Draco and his Mom said...

I like to eat waffles and yes pig bacon at night....I LOVE that fatty little pork morsel...hope you feel better soon.

Debra

sprinkles said...

I don't usually cook because I live by myself so it's usually just a microwave meal for me. Quick and easy. I eat at my parent's house every Sunday though and I love when they make breakfast for dinner! They haven't done that in awhile though.

Don and Diana said...

HI
Oh yah we love having breakfast for dinner. Not all the time but for a change, whether pancakes, eggs etc. I am like you NOT big on the bacon, messes up my system too.

It is easy to get tired of the regular stuff. Hope you get to feeling better soon!!

Diana

Sharon said...

I loooove breakfast for dinner! I especially like makind extra-savory breakfasts, like adding peppers and onions to an omlette that I might not enjoy as much if it were first thing in the morning!

So sorry to hear the bacon made you sick though! Still wishing you a quick recovery :)

S

Nomad said...

breakfast is great any time of the day... thats why i love diners! we have an amazing place here in hollywood called the griddle, if you ever make it out here you will definitely have to hit it up...